It suddenly occurred to me about two days ago that I haven't actually done any fitness related posts in a while which annoyed me slightly because I enjoy doing them as it does actually motivate me to do physical exercise. Here I am today trying to get back into it!
One of my New Year Resolutions was to get fit and healthy and in my 2016 Bucket List I mentioned that I wanted to enter a 'fitness obstacle course race-type event'. I then mentioned in the update that I had applied for the 5K Adrenaline Rush being held in Manchester. I have also updated my actual bucket list to say that I have joined a gym and have been going regularly. However, recently that hasn't been so true.
It must have been at least a month now since I last went to the gym and honestly, it frustrates me because going to the gym is a form of escapism for me; I forget about everything and simply focus on my workout. It relieves my stress levels (which are usually very high) and makes me proud to know I'm working hard. Despite my relatively good fitness level - I always did sports growing up, including athletics, hockey and football, and I have done dance for years - I face an extreme challenge when it comes to doing exercise which has only got worse over the years, particularly when running. I have exercise-induced asthma. Typical that I have such a thing when fitness it one of my favourite things to do. I have been told that it's only a mild form but it still prevents me from reaching my full potential.
I know that going to the gym has been helping. At least I feel like it's helping. Going to the gym regularly makes me feel ten times better knowing that I'm trying to beat those challenges to do something I enjoy and train well for the 5K I have planned!
Since I haven't been in a while due to my work schedule, going on holiday etc. I thought it was about time I set myself some proper goals.
Here are my fitness goals for the Summer months!
1. Work to improve my exercise-induced - Go to the doctors to find out more about it and try any prevention methods that may work.
2. Don't let my asthma stop me from exercising - I may need to slow down at times and take deep breaths but I need to make sure it doesn't make me stop all together.
3. Lose at least 1 stone - My body weight never really changed for years until this past year. I think I have gained around a stone and a half which I would like to lose.
4. Tone up my body - I'm not one for just exercising to lose weight. I genuinely want to get stronger and look more athletic.
5. Enter events - I have already entered the 5K Adrenaline rush but I've been thinking about doing some extra events. I'd like to do a few 5Ks and hopefully 10Ks. I know this definitely will be a challenge for me as I struggle to run but I'd like to work at it. Even if I have to walk most of the races, I don't mind. Ultimately, the goal would be to do half marathons and triathlons next year and possibly an actual marathon within the next year or so!
6. Take part in classes - Go to some spinning classes and see what else is available.
7. Take advantage of my gym membership - I can go to the gym anytime I want off peak (before 3:30pm and weekends) but I can also go to multiple other gyms using my membership. These other gyms have more facilities, like the Spartan Rig and Synrgy.
8. Cycle more - I love to cycle but currently my bike has been sat in the shed for too long. Time to do good on my bucket list and go on those cycle routes!
9. Go swimming - My gym membership includes some swimming pools where there are open swimming sessions and classes.
10. Find other forms of sport and exercise - I know there is a trampoline centre that is supposed to give you a good work out but I'd also like to try other sports like golf and tennis. I haven't played tennis since high school, or many sports in fact!
11. Go outdoors - There are a lot of local cycling routes, forests and beautiful places to explore near where I live and I'd like to be able to both traveling and training at the same time!
12. Walk more - Since I've got my car, I barely walk anywhere. That said, I don't why I can't drive and walk some more! I could drive to the Lake District and I could go for walks and hikes up there!
13. Eat healthier - During the summer we tend to eat more salads and fruit anyway but I want to make it a regular thing. I'd also explore more with my cooking and baking to create healthier dishes.
14. Set myself long-term fitness goals - I already know I want to get fitter, slimmer, and more toned. I also want to be able to possibly work up to a marathon in the next year or two. These are more long-term goals to work towards.
15. Work to support the 'This Girl Can' campaign to get more women into fitness - I am already a proud supporter but I'd like to do more events and posts to show my support.
Those are 15 goals I want to work on over the next few months. Let's hope for nicer weather this summer compared to what we had last year! I am very determined to complete all of these and hopefully I shall be able to get back to you with an update on how everything is going. Time to record my current weight so I know where I'm starting!
Wish me luck!
- KC xx
Read more fitness posts here: