What lovely weather we've been having. Definitely getting me ready for the summer months. Well, the rest of the country seem to have been getting ready for a couple of weeks now but here is Hull, the sun has only just come out! It's refreshing to get outside and not freeze to death for a change. I keep on dreaming of those days sat in a little cafe abroad, watching the sun go down, getting myself ready for some lovely traditional food from wherever it may be. The dull days at home were brightened by a parcel that arrived at my door the week of my birthday! I was lucky enough to be sent a Gousto box!
Gousto are subscription service who send you all the ingredients you need for your chosen recipe. We all struggle to come up with new ideas for dinner and then 9 times out of ten, when you find a recipe you'd like to try out online, you just can't get all the ingredients. If you do manage to get the ingredients, then there's no guarantee you're going to like it and you could find yourself stuck with a bunch of ingredients that you'll probably never use again. Gousto are there to stop all that hassle and the package is delivered with all the ingredients readily weighed out so you only get exactly what you need. If you find you like the recipe, then you can go out and by the ingredients to have it again!
I chose to try out the Sicilian Chicken Linguine. I love linguine and typical Italian food but I've never tried pea shoots or capers before so I had no idea what to expect. The only time I've ever really had leek is in soup too so I was a bit hesitant but I continued on and began to cook.
The recipe card given was very easy to follow as it gave a simple step by step guide to show the order in which things should be chopped and cooked. With no measuring out to do, it took no longer than 10 minutes to prep. Although most of the ingredients are given to you, you are still expected to have butter, olive oil, pepper, salt, and vegetable oil. I'm sure this would be fine for most but being the student that I am, I avoid getting butter because I don't use it a lot at all. I did have to improvise with a little extra vegetable oil.
Ingredients (serves two):
- 30g pitted black olives
- 15g caper buds
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 200g British diced chicken breast
- 1 leek
- 1 lemon
- 200g linguines
- 50g pea shoots
- Boil kettle. Wash then top and tail the leeks before slicing finely. Add diced chicken and sliced leek to bowl with a pinch of salt and crumbled stock cube. Mix.
- Add the chicken and leek mixture to a heated wide-based pan with vegetable oil, then cover for 10-12 mins.
- Cook linguine in a large pot of salted boiling water (8-10mins).
- Chop capers, black olives and lemon (in half).
- Transfer chicken and leek mixture to a plate. Add knob of butter, capers, and lemon juice to the same pan previously used.
- Drain linguine and add half of the pea shoots with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of pepper. Stir for a minute. Pea shoots will wilt.
- Stir everything altogether and serve up! Enjoy!
That was a very basic run down of the method and what it takes to make the recipe. I didn't want to go in to too much detail because that's what the Gousto box does. That said, they usually have a different set of recipes to choose from each month.
I absolutely lovely this recipe. I made it for myself and Ed and we both really enjoyed it. Granted, I didn't have olives on mine because I really don't like them (the picture above is of Ed's portion). It was full of flavour and I never thought I'd like pea shoots or capers, no matter together. I don't normally put lemon on my food as it can be a bit of an acquired taste but it was surprisingly nice. I would definitely make this again! Chicken and leek need to be a thing I have much more often. It was delicious!
- Easy to order and choose
- Wide variety of things on offer, including vegetarian options
- All of the recipes are very nutritious
- The recipes don't take long to make
- You get just enough ingredients - no food waste!
- You can subscribe to get a box every month or you can easily pause the subscription and not pay until you want to.
- Lots to choose from - 22 different recipes each month
- Afforable (approx £5.25 per serving)
- There isn't an option to untick things you don't like (not that I'm aware of anyway)
- I would like the option to choose from previous months recipes
- No option for 1 serving or 3 servings
If you think they are already affordable, Gousto have given my readers an exclusive offer to get £20 discount on each of your first and second orders, on any sized box. Meaning you could get your 1st and 2nd box costing £7.49 each! Simply use the discount code TORNADO!
Well worth it, even if it's just to try it out!
You can get up to £25 off your first box by clicking this link!
It's up to you which deal you choose!
If you choose to get yourself a box, I really do hope you enjoy your recipe and I would love to hear what you think!
- KC xx
*I was sent the Gousto box for free to try out, without review requirements. I choose to do a review simply because I loved the recipe.